Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Seoul 2015 - 15/16

Oh my, this series is almost finished;; Have you enjoyed the ride? Thinking back, I really did. But the day I'm about to write about was a bit different than the others.
I had a real down-day that day so I think I made a wise choice to spend it mostly with John. He was there to listen when I needed to get something off my chest, but at the same time he was also ready to be heartless enough to tell me to just cheer up (which was what I really needed).

I saw Philip in the morning when I went to grab some food from the convenience store. I think this was the day he went to SMtown to audition (for fun) with Sena. Camilla's stomach hurt in the morning and Cindy and Alex were still tired from their Busan trip so John and I went to Insadong (인사동) alone to eat whatever interesting foods we could find.

Dear readers,
welcome to awesome food adventures with John and Lucy!!

Our adventures already began on our way to Insadong when we passed a food stand selling odeng (오뎅), which are fish cakes bathed in broth. I have never been a fan of anything from the sea but this fishcake is something I could go back and eat every day. They're not very 'fishy' in taste.
In Insadong (인사동) we found a small supermarket and sat down at the counter (I've been told that it's pretty common for Koreans to sit down at there counters and eat the ramen that you have just bought). One of the things I got here was this plum juice that I solely selected based on that charming senpai-looking plums face. It was actually okay! Not my go-to drink in that weather though since it turned lukewarm pretty fast.
Another thing I had were these cookies (which I later found out that you could also get here in Denmark) with pineapple flavored filling. Those were good! Really good!
I didn't get any pictures of John's food, sadly <//3
Okayokayokay here comes the coolest ice cream ever! And they actually originated here in Insadong (인사동)! After having seen a lot of people carrying around large pipes with ice cream in we decided to get some ourselves. The pipe is made out of corn (and should therefore be healthier than normal cones) and the ice cream... well it's not like normal dairy ice cream. When it melted (and it did very fast due to the hot weather), it felt more like water based ice cream with flavor and then maybe some sort of powder or something mixed into it to give it more of an ice cream'y feel. You could have either vanilla, chocolate, or a mixture of both. Of course we tried both! It was soooo messy though! The chocolate end kept dripping down on my shoes and the white part would melt and run all the way down to reach our hands. It was a cool thing to try though! I've definitely had better ice cream but the experience itself was fun. I'd recommend you try it if you ever get the chance.
Apparently Simon and Martina made a video about these. The more you know!
Wanting to continue our adventures in Myeongdong (명동), we headed back to the hostel. On our way back we once again bought some of the fishcakes and John got to practice some Korean with the vendor.
As we were trying to decide which way to go, we walked by a man in his 40-50's. As we did, the man turned his entire body 180 degrees, his eyes planted firmly on us, and loudly exclaimed an impressed 'OooOoh'. People tend to think that John as Korean and his guess was that the man had thought we were going out.

Our awesome food adventures (now featured Camilla, who was feeling better) continued in Myeongdong (명동). Here we shared a big bowl of patbingsu (팥빙수) - a Korean shaved ice dessert with toppings on.

Not long after we found ourselves walking around a little outside Insadong (인사동) exploring the streets when we received a message from Cindy and Alex.
One the things some of us had also wanted to do in Seoul was to see the Banpo Bridge (반포대교) - also called Rainbow Bridge, which is the world longest bridge fountain. The fountain plays different shows during night and day but especially those during the night are said to be beautiful.
Well, today was the day we had planned to watch one of these shows and while Alex had looked up the time for the shows, he'd discovered that he'd told us the wrong time and that the last show (21.00) was sooner than we had expected and that we had about half an hour to get there. Alex and Cindy were already on their way.

Half an hour might sound okay to you but the thing is that you'll have to walk pretty far to get there, even from the nearest subway station. The road there wasn't exactly straightforward and we were lead into big, dark apartment complexes from where we had to navigate to the bridge. After much struggle we finally found the bridge... JUST as the light show was ending.
NoooOooOooo (´︿  ;`)

It took a while to find Cindy and Alex and when we did, we received a text from Philip saying that he too, had mixed up the time and thought that it was starting in an hour from now. At least Cindy and Alex made it in time for the show (I think).

Feeling defeated, we walked all the way back to the station and took the subway back home to the hostel and cheered up ourselves with some fried chicken that we had the hostel staff help us order. Philip, knowing that it was too late to leave for the light show, stayed out a little later than the rest of us. Cindy and Alex weren't hungry (I think they had already eaten) so once again it was just the three of us (John, Camilla, and I) enjoying our food adventures.

← Return to 14/16                                                                                                        Continue to 16/16 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back To Top